"For I was hungry & you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty & you gave me something to drink..."

Matthew 25:35

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jacques Torres's Secret Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe


According to the NY Times, Martha Stewart (& Pinterest), these are the best Chocolate Chip Cookies. Ever. The end.
Well snap- that's a pretty big claim. A claim that I couldn't just accept without trying myself, of course. So I made sure to grab some $$$ bittersweet chocolate & bread flour on my last grocery run.
Then I tested my own patience by actually letting the dough sit in my fridge for at least 24 hours before baking.
Yes, it was torturous. All that dough....in my fridge...want cookies now...eat an apple? Damn.

But my need to follow the direction prevailed & 26 hours later (see, i even tacked on an extra 2 for good measure) i started scooping out dough.

The verdict? Well, I'll give my 2 cents at the end.

Jacques Torres's Secret Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
You Need:
1 pound unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 pounds bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
sea salt or fleur de sel(optional)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with Siplat or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, salt, baking powder & baking soda. Whisk together & set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and both sugars until light & fluffy- about 5 minutes. Reduce to medium speed & add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Reduce speed to low & add the vanilla. Then slowly add the flour mixture & mix until just combined.
Then add the chocolate & mix until well combined.
Cover your dough with plastic wrap.

Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. 36 is better, 72 is fabulous. You get the idea.

The next day:

Using a large scoop for larger cookies or a small scoop for smaller cookies (i used a small scoop. 1 oz or so), scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 15-20 min for larger cookies and about 12-15 minutes for smaller cookies (my small cookies cooked in about 12 minutes).

As soon as you pull the cookies out, sprinkle with sea salt or fleur de sel (optional)

Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Or eat them warm- because everyone knows that's the natural way.

My verdict:
- These were good. really good. the chopped bittersweet chocolate makes a nice melted ribbon throughout the entire cookie. The flavor is incredible & the sea salt sprinkle adds that dash of salty & sweet.
The texture was perfect. Crispy & chewy. They were amazing warm & just as good at room temp.
I do see what everyone is raving about.

BUT- I really don't think they're the best chocolate chip cookies ever. Not even close actually. Mrs. Fields & Toll House still hold my heart. or mouth. whatever. And I actually prefer a much softer & chewy cookie- so my Flat & Chewy Cookies are still my go to recipe.

Will I make these again? Probably- when I have time & patience & I want to get a little fancy. But like I said, waiting to bake cookies? Pure torture.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Caitlin Gorman said...

I'm with ya, give me super soft cookies over crispy ones any day. Also, I'm all for immediate gratification when cooking/baking, so I'm not sure if I could pull this one off without complaining a LOT!

Related Posts with Thumbnails