"For I was hungry & you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty & you gave me something to drink..."

Matthew 25:35

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread


This past Sunday was the Superbowl. If you didn't know that then you either live in a different country or you're one of the crazy people who don't want cable tv.
Yeah I said it- crazy.
The thought of giving up cable frankly makes me a bit stabby. And twitchy. And I don't want to think about it anymore.

Let's focus on this carb fest instead. Doughy & yeasty & salty & cheesy. Insanely good. Even better the next day so much better that I ate a lot more than any 1 person should. I felt rathy guilty but I just couldn't stop.

Garlic Parmesan Pull-Apart Bread (adapted from pastry affair)
You Need:
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups barely warm water
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons salt (kosher)
3 1/2 cups all purpose (or bread) flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon dried basil flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or the stuff in the can)

Directions: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast and water. Let sit 5 minutes until yeast is foamy. Mix in the olive oil, salt, and flour. If you have a stand mixer, attach the dough hook and knead the dough for 5-6 minutes, or until elastic. If you are doing this by hand, knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until dough is elastic, 7-10 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until dough is doubled in size. (i let mine rise for 2+ hours)

In a small bowl, combine melted butter, basil flakes, and minced garlic. Set aside.

Punch down the dough. Tear off small pieces of dough (roughly the size of a gumball) coat in the butter mixture, and place in the bottom of a bundt pan. Repeat this process until you have one layer of dough balls. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese. Continue layering the dough balls and cheese until you have 3 layers.


Cover the pan with a clean towel and allow to sit until dough has doubled in size, 20-30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until bread is golden brown. Serve hot with a side of marinara or tomato sauce.
The original recipe called for dried parsley- but I used basil instead. I also used kosher salt.
This was good dipped in tomato sauce- but I actually preferred it without dipping.
I think dipping it in flavored olive oil would be ever better.

Obviously the dough was made from scratch- but in a pinch you could definately sub in some Pillsbury canned dough or even thawed bread dough.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Bridgett Nicolace-Bird said...

Yes, people who don't have cable are in fact crazy. I concur. Wholeheartedly

Related Posts with Thumbnails