"For I was hungry & you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty & you gave me something to drink..."

Matthew 25:35

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Quinoa Macaroni & Cheese


This dinner was an attempt to have my cake & eat it too. Macaroni & cheese. But healthified.
It worked & it was really good. Plus, it gave me something new to do with our loads of quinoa- win.

Quinoa Macaroni & Cheese (adapted from iowa girl eats, via monica nelson fitness)
You Need:
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup sun dried tomato pesto
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed & drained
pinch of kosher salt
some seasoned salt
3 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
panko bread crumbs, smoked paprika, etc etc for topping (optional)

Directions: Pre heat oven to 350° & coat a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the tomato paste, garlic & quinoa. Cook, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Stir in the water, salt & seasoned salt- cover & reduce heat to medium-low & simmer for 15 min (until 99% of the liquid has been absorbed & the quinoa is cooked through)- Remove fromt he heat & allow to sot for 5 minutes.
While the quinoa is sitting- whisk together the eggs & milk. Stir into the quinoa along with the cheddar cheese- you should see the cheese melting.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish & top with Panko & smoked paprika (optional)
Bake for 25-30 min until browned around the edges.

Dish out & top with anything you want (sour cream, tomatoes, etc etc)


This was SO good! I did make some changes- i left out the leeks & tomatoes that the original recipe called for (because i had neither)- but i did add tomato pesto & next time i think I'll toss in some broccoli or kale.
This was enough for dinner for the husband & I + leftovers.
Total score.
Pin It!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love quinoa! I'm always looking for new ways to use it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails