they're super easy to make, you can put in whatever you want & they're literally ready to eat after 3 min in the microwave (or you can even throw them in the oven for 10 min or so)
you can make them with beef, chicken, pork, vegetarian- etc etc. the only things i'd suggest leaving out would be lettuce & anything else that doesn't freeze well. but who needs lettuce?
but you can choose to use re-fried beans, peppers & onions, greek yogurt- blah blah. endless options!
ok- so here is my Freezer Burrito- Chicken Version.
i usually use hamburg- but we were out & i needed to use up some tortillas- so chicken it was.
- Tortillas (the nice big ones)
- Taco Seasoning
Filling: (this is what i used)
- corn (i used Mexi-Corn)
- shredded cheese (i use taco cheese)
- sauce (i used about 2 cups sour cream mixed with Texas Pete's Hot Sauce & 1-2 tblsp taco seasoning)
- cook your rice according to directions
- drain the corn & add it to the rice (once cooked)
- toss in some seasonings (i have a Southwestern Seasoning from Pampered Chef- you can use whatever. just make it taste good!)
- cook your chicken (i used canned chicken & simply shredded it) with the taco seasoning
- mix up your sauce (i used sour cream, hot sauce & taco seasoning) in a bowl
Making your Burritos:
- set up an assembly line:
- all the fillings
- start filling your tortillas:
- you can stuff them pretty good- but don't overstuff because you need to be able to roll them up without everything squeezing out. i usually layer the filling closer to me (so not directly in the middle) - seems to make the rolling much easier.
this is how i layer:
- rice/corn mix
- a good dollop smear of sauce
- meat on top of rice/corn
so fill all of your tortillas (i had 6 large shells but i usually have 8):
and now it's time to start rolling:
- use whatever method works for you. i like to bring up the sides first & roll (tightly) tucking as i go. seems to work the best. if a little sauce squeezes out near the end, do not fear. it's all good.
as you roll, wrap nice & tight with the foil (no plastic wrap is needed))- so when you're done they should look something like this:
then i date them all with a Sharpie & put them into a freezer bag:
Pop them into the freezer & they're good for several months. they never last that long in this house- but just in case.
-unwrap from foil & place on a plate. pop in the microwave for 2 minutes on 1 side. flip over & microwave for 1 more minute. DONE!
we like to eat it with some salsa or extra sour cream on the side.
these are EXCELLENT to have on hand. specially if you're having a baby soon (hello) and you want to be able to feed your spouse or kids something quick but filling.
so make away! fill with whatever you'd like & have fun with them!
p.s. you can also make these into breakfast burritos. think eggs, sausage, ham, cheese, etc etc. like i said, ENDLESS options people!