"For I was hungry & you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty & you gave me something to drink..."

Matthew 25:35

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

PUMPKIN OATMEAL COOKIES

my good friend megan wanted a recipe for pumpkin cookies, so i gave her the iced pumpkin cookie recipe that i always use; however she deemed these too "cakey" for her liking. so she set off on quest to find a pumpkin cookie recipe that actually produced "cookies" and not little pumpkin cakes.

it pleases me to announce that she found that recipe! and it's good! i made these for a cookout on Sun. (and threw my frosting recipe on top) and they were a huge hit.

her recipe includes raisins & nuts and as we all know, those are NOT allowed in my cooking- so i did half the recipe with nada & half with chocolate chips. i also added 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice-nom!

many thanks to friend megan:

PUMPKIN-OATMEAL COOKIES:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (eeew)
3/4 cup raisins (double eeew)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

PREHEAT oven to 350°. Lightly grease baking sheets (or i line them with non-stick foil. that stuff is freaking great!)

COMBINE flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl.
Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract; mix well. Add flour mixture; mix well.
Optional: Stir in nuts and raisins (or chocolate chips).
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets (i use a mini ice cream scoop)
BAKE for 14 to 16 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned and set in centers. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Frosting: (i used my fool proof frosting recipe & added a little kick! i also HALVED the recipe but if you want more frosting then by all means...!)

1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup butter- softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2 cup milk
4-4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (kick)

Cream together the Crisco & butter- alternate adding the sugar & milk until desired consistancy. Add the vanilla & PPS
Mix well & spread or pipe onto cooled cookies.

This frosting is best when you let it harden a bit- so i would actually make these the night before you need them and let the frosting set. it sets within 30 min or so anyway, but i always find that it's better the next day. same goes with these cookies- the pumpkin flavor really comes out the next day!

Enjoy!
Pin It!

3 comments:

Loriann Valencia-Serna said...

Good morning! Ironically I have a recipe but wanted to change it up, googled it last night and found you. On the same day you baked these! I made them just as you did, no walnuts or raisins, but glazed them with a spiced brown butter icing for two birthdays today. They came out delicious and next time I will try your foolproof buttercream for sure! Thank you for the great recipe!

Tabitha said...

These look delicious, I'll have to kill time in my 2ww by making these little guys! And I can't tell you how excited I am about these, because like your friend I made your other pumpkin cookies and they were delicious, but I also felt they were more cake like than cookie like, so I'm crazy excited about this new recipie!

Unknown said...

hooray- 2 satisified customers :)
this pleases me (and friend megan :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails