Baked Pumpkin Donuts (adapted from Cheeky Kitchen)
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk**
1 cup pumpkin puree
Directions:- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, spice and sugar.
- Whisk together all of the remaining ingredients in a second, medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir them around the bowl until the mixture is well combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, rolling the donut dough to approximately 3/4" thick, then cut with donut cutter.
- Transfer to a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or just until the donuts are cooked through. (mine needed 13 min)
- Dip immediately into buttermilk glaze.
Eat warm & enjoy!
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk together in a small bowl until smooth
* i ended up needing an addtl 3/4 cup flour PLUS a heavily floured surface. i had to flour the counter, the rolling pin, my hands, the dough- etc etc. without the addtl flour the dough was just a sticky mess. so i'd start with the 3 1/2 cups & see what you get. you'll know if you need more - you simply won't be able to work with the dough at ALL. just flour it up until it's workable.
** i used powdered Buttermilk (you can find it in the baking section)
*** i only made 1/2 a batch of the glaze & it was just enough.