my husband's work needed a december b-day cake- so i decided on red velvet because i love making it!!!
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces red food coloring
2 tablespoons cocoa (heaping)
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vinegar
Directions: Preheat oven to 350°
1. Cream shortening, sugar and eggs.
2. Make a paste of food coloring and cocoa.
3. Add to creamed mixture.
4. Add buttermilk alternating with flour and salt.
5. Add vanilla.
6. Add soda to vinegar, and blend into the batter.
7. Pour into 3 or 4 greased and floured 8" cake pans. (or 1 13x9x2 in pan)
8. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes.
I used my basic frosting recipe (1/2 cup crisco & 1/2 cup butter mixed with powdered sugar, milk & vanilla) to frost this instead of the tradtional cream cheese or whipped cream frosting. i needed it to be birthday cake worthy & i think a stiffer frosting is better.